May 22, 2011

16- Guardrail

As I was making the long drive from Chicago to Texas I was quite bored. The landscape was semi-interesting for like, an hour. There was a lot of road construction and many bright orange signs to read. Most of them just warned of my impending doom if I hit a construction worker, so I better slow my ass down.

My favorite signs were the ones that warned me of "Guardrail Damage Ahead". I really don't know why I needed to be warned of this. Guardrails are generally there to prevent your car from plummeting down a hill, cliff, or mountain. I guess it's good to know that they're damaged, but I'm not really sure given an accident the warning would be very helpful. "Oh shit, my car is spinning out of control, but I should try to crash into the next guardrail because this one is damaged!" I do not have a ton of experience with accidents but my guess is that you don't have much choice in where you crash?

I was happy the sign was there though, these thoughts occupied my mind for about 15 minutes.

No comments: