July 19, 2011

Fear. Irrational Fears.

We are all afraid of something. Heights, crowds, birds, cowboys. I am 24 years old and I am still figuring things out about myself. This fear isn't so much something that I'm just now discovering, but something that I'm just now actually thinking very hard about. Once I had a brainstorm about this fear it just cemented how very goofy I really am. My fear is..


Bridges. I HATE bridges. Bridges and heights. I know, I'm not the only one scared of these things they have names: gephyrophobia and acrophobia respectively. I don't like being on bridges and high places because I might not stay on them. That's not really my fear though, I'm not so much afraid of falling off the top of a building, or a bridge cracking in half sending me plummeting into water only to sink to a water grave. I actually like being in high places as long as I have stable footing, and maybe a fence.

My fear is a little different. I'm afraid of being on bridges and high places because I'm afraid that I will randomly decide to drive my car off, or go running off the edge. I guess I always knew that this was what I was actually afraid of, but I've never really thought about how ridiculous it sounds. Hi, I'm afraid of loosing control of my own mind, is pretty much what I'm saying. I was watching a documentary on fear, Katie Couric was interviewed and she has the same fear. So, when I go crazy and loose my mind you will know the root of it. And to clear it up, I do not want to jump off a building or a bridge, that would not be fun for me. I don't think I'm going to try to overcome this fear by acting it out, I think I'll just deal with it.

So I suppose my real fear is of my impulses. I've always been rather impulsive, I guess it's the hedonist in me. But really, who is afraid that their brain will randomly take control of their limbs and throw them off a high place? Katie Couric and I, that's who.

2 comments:

Andrea said...

Any time I'm on a cliff I get the strong urge to go running and leap off of it. It's not a fear for me, I just think it would be enjoyable. I think I'll wait until i can fly to act out that fantasy though.

So, you and Katie are not alone.

jesslind said...

so wild. my old roommate talked to me about this, but I didn't understand. We found a word for it...well, a phrase. "l'appel du vide" or, 'the call of the void.'